Monday, March 3, 2008

2nd Generation Blue Laker


Does it count when the first generation are your Aunts and Uncle? Because this mom never went - she went places like to sing with Fred Waring, and to study Journalism at Ball State - but all of this mom's siblings spent summers at Blue Lake... and then each one of them had the opportunity to go on the International Tour!
So, a few weeks ago, A comes home from school.
"Mom, guess what?"
"What?"
"Mrs. H. is setting up scholarship auditions for Blue Lake! And, I went up after class and I asked, 'Do I have to audition with my instrument (french horn) or can I sing?' and she said I could SING!"
"Awesome babe...."
fast forward another week or so - and audition day. She decided to sing "Amazing Grace" - which is one of the peices she had prepared for her Winter Recital. (If you click, you can listen to her!) She comes home and I say...
"So, how did the audition go?"
"Pretty good I guess. He stopped me before I finished and said, 'You're a talented young lady, we'll make sure you get a nice scholarship.'".
Gee - sounds like more than "pretty good" to me!
fast forward to today... an envelope from Blue Lake was in the mail!
There's a NICE scholarship in there - covers about 1/3 of the camp fees (now I have to come up with the other 2/3rds... anybody want to make a donation to A's Blue Lake fund?)
She may be a 2nd generation Blue Laker - but she'll be the first one to go for Choir instead of Band!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Way to go!! My Em will be there for orchestra. She got a 'nice little scholarship', too, but I think some fundraising for the remainder is definitely in order.