Saturday, April 19, 2008

I've had better mornings...

It all started out well enough. I overslept a little, but got up and showered, and got E to the rink at about 7:19 (she's supposed to be on the ice at 7:15 - but ah well... Saturday mornings it's just hard to drag yourself out of bed early!)

Ice skating was uneventful - I fought with several vending machines before I finally got one to give me my Diet Coke.

We left the rink at about 8:30-8:40 - and started to head home, when I remembered - OOPS we were going to go up the north route - stop for a donut, and then head to the Dance Studio to buy recital tickets for A's recital in June. So, I turned around, and headed out of the rink the other direction.

I'm tooling along about a block from the rink, talking to E, when suddenly - a big tan van was right in front of me. I mean RIGHT in front of me. E says I screamed "OH MY GOD" - I just remember slamming the brakes and hoping I could stop.

Long story short - I had a flashing yellow, he had a flashing red - he ignored his flashing red. A very nice stranger stopped and waited for the police to tell them that for me. Another really nice stranger sat with E on the sidewalk and calmed her down, as I tried to retreive things from my van that is all smashed up - and I mean ALL SMASHED UP.

No major injuries - airbags deployed - somehow I scraped up my right forearm - so I was bleeding - but nothing so bad as to require medical attention. I'm starting to feel a bit stiff, and there is a small bruise from the seatbelt on my left shoulder - and even though I didn't feel the impact of the airbag - I know it impacted me, because there is a mark on my neck where my necklace sits - from it being jammed into me.

E has no visible marks from the accident - no bruises, no scrapes - her marks are all emotional - she was pretty shaken up. She thought that the airbag dust was smoke, and had a panic attack in the car - that's why I'm so grateful to the stranger who sat with her on the corner and helped her calm down.

Interestingly enough - the other driver was taken away in a squad car in handcuffs. The officer that came and talked to me was kind of circumspect, but implied that he wasn't under the influence, but rather had some issues with his license, and had made some poor decisions, and was coming with them. I imagine it will be in the police report.

The cop and I both think the van is totalled - J thinks we're wrong - we'll see after the insurance company makes their assessment. What a bummer - I've only had the van since September. Although E quipped "Well, mom, I guess now you'll get the A/C fixed!" It hasn't been working this past week with the warmer weather.

Anyway - we're off for an afternoon of theater fun with our friends - and E and A's friends M and C will be here all day to keep them company. So I suppose that will keep my mind off things for today at least.

Hey everyone out there - DRIVE SAFELY.



There's a better pic of the damage on Em's phone - but she's having trouble sending it to me - so the one I took on the tow truck will have to suffice.

EDIT: Here's the better pic from Emily's phone:

3 comments:

Kim said...

How scary! I'm so glad you're both ok- and very much looking forward to seeing you soon!

Anonymous said...

Thank God everyone is ok.

I'm going to vote with you and the cop though... I'd bet it's totalled.

Stacy said...

OMG!! After seeing that photo of the van, it's incredible that you were both OK! I am so glad!!!!