Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Happy Thanksgiving!!

I spent my Thanksgiving morning baking Apple Pies. Just thought I'd share!

The Pie recipe is my maternal Grandmother's, and the crust is my mom's recipe (which she pulled from a cookbook in order to bake her first ever pie for my dad!)

Rich Pastry
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tspn salt
1 Tbspn sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg yolk
1 Tbspn lemon juice
1/4 cup milk

Sift flour with salt and sugar. Cut in shortning until like crumbs (pictured at left). Beat together egg yolk, lemon juice and milk. Add liquid to dry ingredients and work with hands. Generously flour your surface and your rolling pin when rolling out.
Makes 2 crusts (either a top and bottom, or two bottoms if you are making pumpkin pie!)

Apple Pie
4 cups sliced, peeled apples (I use Granny Smith)
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tblspns flour
1 tspn cinnamon
1 Tblspn water
sm. amount of butter (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. Put 1/3 of this mixture into the bottom crust, then layer apples and mixture, ending with mixture. Apples should be HEAPING (the photo at left is not yet full!) Add water, and optional butter. (I forget it every year, and it still tastes OK - but it's in my Grandma's recipe!). Add top crust, and slit to vent. Press down firmly to keep juice in. Pinch a rope around the edge. (optional - place leaves or other crust decorations on top! Glue them on with the egg white you didn't use in the crust!) Place in 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, then reduce temp to 325 for an additional 50 minutes.

It really is yummy!

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

your pie is lovely! Saw your post on Pioneer Woman. Love, love , LOVE Apple pie so I am going to try and finally bake one with the Crust...Thanks!

Robin

Anonymous said...

Came over from P-W, also :) This looks like a winner, I'm using it for pies I'm making for Christmas. Thanks for sharing!
Candy in WI

kategrizz said...

Wow -

Total strangers, posting comments on my blog! I hope you enjoy the pie - I just posted a cookie recipe yesterday too!

http://kategrizz.blogspot.com/2007/12/pecan-sandiessandiessand-tartssnowballs.html

Kate

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful! So simple and the finished pie looked lovely. I saw your post on Pioneer Woman. Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks you,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I came from PW also. I just finished making her pie crust and it is in the freezer. I will try yours next as it doesn't take as much shortening. Thank you for the recipe. Kath in CA

Marty and Peggy said...

Came over from Pioneer Woman also (via Aruba). Thanks for your post. My daughter and friend didn't understand when making an apple pie about the butter dotted all over the pie filling just before baking. They thought the butter was mixed in with something. But you just take a slice or two of butter, cube that up into very small cubes, and dot it around the top of the filling just before adding the top crust. You'll taste the difference! Bon Bini!

Anonymous said...

You should continue to post on other blogs. I also came from the Pioneer Women's Blog. Darn now I have two new recipes to try. I use the old Crisco recipe that only has Crisco, flour, salt, and water. It turns out fine and is nice and flaky. But both these recipes make more sense to me.

Now I an a decent cook and a bit old fashion. I believe too many people think slapping pre-made packaged, boxed or frozen foods together is cooking. I have actually read cookbooks that list those items in their recipes. I toss them or return for a refund. Rarely does one save money or much time buying food prepared, boxed or frozen.

Frozen pie crust is disgusting and nobody gets real compliments from their pies when baked in them. I enjoy my food so much more when I spend a few more minutes and make it from scratch. I'm not sure why food prepared from scratch with love and care is so much healthier.

I've never used egg in crust, vinegar or lemon juice and really look forward to trying these variations to find MY favorite. Now if I can make a prettier crimped edge. Like the P.W. said in her blog she is happy if it makes her man moan when he eats it. Her 10 yr old makes a better border than me. But I do love my pies. Even if the crust isn't pretty.

Thank you for your family recipe.

Tim

Unknown said...

Curious about pre baking my shell. I want to make a pineapple cream pie that does not require baking except to brown the egg white meringue. Any ideas what temp and how long I should bake it?