Sunday, December 23, 2007

Child of God

BaptismMy neice, Baby E, was baptised yesterday! Isn't she beautiful? This was an exciting day for my E as well, as my sister (whom I affectionately call seester) had asked her to be one of Baby E's Godmothers! E was confirmed last spring - which is why she can now serve in the role of Godmother.

E gave Baby E a special gift for her baptism. It is a tradition that she and I heard about from our friends the K's. For a baby girl's baptism, you give them a cross which hangs from a bar pin. The cross is pinned to the baptismal gown - and then to each gown or dress that the girl wears through each of her sacraments - her 1st communion, her confirmation and her wedding day! What a special tradition - and now E has started it for Baby E!

You might also notice that Baby E is wearing 2 different baptismal garments in the photos. The first garment my seester made from the shawl from her wedding gown. The second garment was made from a family wedding gown, and has been worn by four generations of our family at their baptisms - beginning with my Uncle and my Father. I don't know the exact count - but over 40 children have been baptised in that gown, and it is over 80 years old!

We had a great time afterwards at my seester's house, eating yummy lasagna that her hubby made!

PS Family - I think you can now comment without having to join anything. I don't know what can of worms that might open for me - but we'll try it for a while! :-)

No comments: