Sunday, December 23, 2007

Pecan Sandies/Sandies/Sand Tarts/Snowballs

Pecan Sandies - take 2These are one of my Dad's favorite cookies. I have two copies of the recipe - both in my Grandma Cron's handwriting - although she gives credit for the recipe to someone else. I haven't made these in AGES - but I had a hankering - and I knew my Dad would appreciate them (which he did!)

I didn't do the best job with my photojournalism of the baking process. It was a bit chaotic here, with everyone doing their own thing to get ready for Christmas - and I got sidetracked partway through baking!

I made a double batch of the Recipe which I am posting - so that I would have enough to last through all the cookie trays we are taking places!!

Sandies - from the kitchen of me - by way of my Grandma Cron - by way of someone named Jane Smalley.
1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Crisco
5 T Powdered Sugar (I looked this up - that equals 1/3 cup!)
2 C Flour & Salt (OK I decided that my Grandma did NOT mean 2 cups of salt - and I just put in about 1/2 t (I poured some into my hand, and threw it in with the 2 cups of flour)
1 t Vanilla
1 t Water (I think this is just to keep the dough moist enough to ball up - when I doubled - I didn't add the 2nd t until I checked the dough.
1 C chopped nuts (but my Grandma ALWAYS used Pecans - so I did too!)
Cream shortening, butter and sugar. (I used my pastry cutter)
Add vanilla, water. Then add salt and flour. Finally, add the nuts.

Shape in half-moons or balls (I chose balls, and used my mini scoop from Pampered Chef).
Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar when cool.

Enjoy! We are!!

No comments: